Amazing vegetables are loading the shelves from the fall harvest, and they offer so much for your family's plates! They can be baked, mashed, roasted, sliced, sauced and more - there's endless inspiration to be found. Here's how to use six popular fruits and vegetables, from savoury breakfast options to dinner recipes to side dishes and beyond.
Get to know your fall produce
- Roast them: Chunk them and roast the roots, then turn the green tops into zesty carrot pesto to drizzle over top.
- Mash them: Mash cooked carrots and potatoes together for a goes-with-anything side.
- Have them for dessert: Grate 'em up and make a steamed pudding (in your slow cooker!) that tastes just like carrot cake.
- Roast them: Layer roasted squash, granola and yogurt for a savoury-sweet breakfast parfait.
- Mash them: Purée with sweet spices to create an amazing spread for toast, scones, pancakes and waffles!
- Have them for dessert: Bake it into a simple yet decadent chocolate loaf cake to enjoy with afternoon tea or coffee.
- Roast them: Toss and roast parsnips in a mixture of grated Parm and spices. Crispy, sweet heaven!
- Mash them: Skip the taters and mash parsnips instead. Add a bit of cream cheese and buttermilk for tang.
- Have them for dessert: Sub in parsnips for carrots in your dessert recipes. Parsnip cake , anyone?