- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Grease and line four 8-in. (20-cm) round cake pans. Prepare cake batter according to package directions. Divide batter evenly among the 4 prepared pans. Bake 30 min. until golden. Remove and cool slightly on wire rack. While still warm, poke holes into cakes about 1 in. (2.5 cm) apart using the handle of a wooden spoon. Do not let the handle touch the bottoms of the cake pans. Cool completely.
- Whisk gelatin powder with 1 cup (250 mL) boiling water until dissolved. Immediately whisk in 1/2 cup (125 mL) cold water. Pour over cakes (holes and cake). Chill 6 hr. or overnight until gelatin is set.
- To prevent cracking, bring cakes to room temperature before removing from pans (discard parchment liners). Place cakes on wire racks. Trim off rounded tops of cakes to create level surfaces.
- In large bowl, whip cream with electric mixer to soft peaks then gradually beat in icing sugar until smooth and fluffy. Place first cake on large plate or platter. Spread icing on top of each cake before stacking next one. Also, ice top and sides of the layered cake. Chill 30 min. to firm up icing before serving.
- Use strawberry or cherry gelatin mix instead of raspberry flavour.
- This is a very indulgent cake. To cut down on fat and sugar, make a two-layer cake instead of the four-layer by cutting recipe in half.