- Cut sausage crosswise into 1/4-inch thick slices, then cut slices in half crosswise.
- In a 5 to 6-quart pan over medium-high heat, combine sliced sausage with onion and olive oil.
- Stir often until onion is softened and mixture is lightly browned, 5-6 minutes.
- Add broth and macaroni to pan.
- Bring to a boil over high heat; then reduce heat, cover, and simmer until macaroni is tender to bite, about 10 minutes.
- Add beans and pesto sauce to pan.
- Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until beans are heated through, 2-3 minutes. Stir in spinach.
- Cook just until spinach wilts but is still bright green, about 1 minute.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls. If desired, offer cheese to add to taste.
Healthier Alternative: Lower the fat and increase fiber by using turkey polska kielbasa instead of smoked sausage and Compliments Balance Whole Wheat Penne Rigate instead of elbow macaroni.