- Prepare a gas or charcoal barbecue for medium-high heat.
- While barbecue heats,place a chicken breast between 2 sheets of plastic wrap.
- With a smooth meat mallet, pound chicken until it is 1/4 inch thick.
- Repeat to pound all chicken.
- Arrange 1 or 2 basil leaves in the center of each pounded chicken breast.
- Place a piece of cheese on top of basil.
- Fold sides of chicken up and over basil and cheese to enclose tightly and completely.
- Secure tightly with skewers.
- Brush chicken bundles with oil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Tightly wrap 1 strip of bacon around each bundle, securing it with skewers if necessary.
- Place bundles on grill over heat. Cover and cook until undersides are browned, 5-7 minutes.
- Turn bundles and cook to brown other sides, about 5 more minutes.
- Continue cooking, turning once or twice more, until chicken is well browned and nolonger pink in center (carefully cut to test so that melted cheese does not run out),5-10 more minutes.
- Transfer to a serving platter. Remove skewers and serve.
Substitute Compliments Smoked Bacon 34% less salt if you’re concerned about your salt intake, or use turkey bacon for a lower fat choice.