- Rinse shrimp and pat dry with paper towels. In a bowl, mix shrimp with salt and sugar. Cover and chill.
- In a 5 to 6-quart pan, melt butter over medium high heat. Add orzo and stir often until pasta begins to brown, 2-3 minutes.
- Add broth, lemon peel, and thyme. Bring to a boil over high heat. Then reduce heat slightly and simmer, stirring often, until orzo is tender to bite and liquid is mostly absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- About 5 minutes before orzo is done, remove shrimp from refrigerator and rinse well. Pat shrimp dry between paper towels. Heat oil in a 12-inch nonstick frying pan over high heat.
- Add shrimp and cook, stirring and turning often, until shrimp are pink and no longer translucent in center, cut to test,about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.When orzo is done, stir in cooked shrimp, feta, and the lemon juice.
- Transfer to individual bowls and serve immediately.
Time Saving Tip:
Transfer the bag of shrimp from the freezer to the refrigerator the night before so that they will thaw and be ready to cook at dinnertime.