- Season chicken to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a 12-inch nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat.
- When pan is hot, add chicken.
- Cook, turning a few times, until chicken is well browned and no longer pink but still moist looking in center (cut to test), 10-12 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a serving platter and keep warm.
- To pan, add butter. When butter sizzles add sage and cook just until sage darkens and gets crispy, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in lemon peel.
- Spoon butter mixture over chicken and serve immediately.
Sage Savvy: Leftover sage will keep in the refrigerator up to 1 week. If you don’t plan to use it before then, mince the leaves, spoon into a small plastic bag, and freeze. Spoon out small amounts to use as you need it. The leaves will darken when they thaw but can be used in stews or soups where colour doesn’t matter so much.