- In bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, salt, cloves and nutmeg; set aside. In another large bowl, use electric mixer to beat together shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Beat in egg, molasses and fresh ginger. Stir in dry ingredients just until blended. Fold in crystallized ginger. Cover and chill 1 to 2 hr., until dough is firm.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). F. Line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll dough into 48 balls, each a scant tablespoon. Roll in demerera sugar to coat and place on prepared baking sheets, spaced about 2-in. (5-cm) apart. One tray at a time, bake on middle rack of oven 8 to 10 min., until cookies are set around edges but still a little soft in the centre. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Store in airtight container up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
• Substitute granulated sugar or sanding sugar for rolling cookies.
• Add 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped toasted pecans to cookie dough.
• For crisper cookies, bake longer.