- Preheat oven to 350°F (180ºC). In large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In separate bowl, with hand-mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until incorporated after each addition. Beat in banana and vanilla. With mixer on low, alternately add the flour mixture in 3 parts with coconut milk in 2 parts, starting and ending with flour mixture. Scrape the bowl as needed between additions. Fold in coconut. Scrape into two greased and floured or parchment paper-lined 9-in (23-cm) round cake pans; smooth top.
- Bake 35 to 40 min. or until a cake tester comes out clean when inserted into centre. Cool cake in pans on wire racks 30 min. Remove from pans and cool cakes completely on racks, about 10 min.
- Meanwhile, to make frosting, in heatproof bowl, beat water, sugar, egg whites, corn syrup, cream of tartar and salt with hand-mixer on high 1 min. Set bowl over saucepan of simmering water (do not let bottom of bowl touch water. Beat 7 min. or until mixture holds stiff peaks. Remove from saucepan. Continue to beat 2 to 3 min. or until frosting is cooled and thick enough to spread. Beat in vanilla.
- Place first cake on platter and spread with about 1 cup (250 mL) frosting. Top with second cake. Ice top and sides with remaining frosting. Sprinkle top of cake with toasted coconut. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
• Cakes can be made a day ahead. Wrap and store in airtight container or re-sealable bag. Make frosting on same day as serving.