- Preheat oven to 400F (200C). Toss butternut squash with oil and salt. Spread in single layer on parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Roast squash 40 to 45 min., turning over once, until tender. Cool slightly.
- Place squash in food processor. Add 1 cup (250 mL) water, maple syrup, brown sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg; puree until smooth.
- Transfer puree to small saucepan. Stir in 1/2 cup (125 mL) water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low. Continue cooking 15 min., stirring frequently, until mixture is a thick, spreadable consistency. Cool to room temperature. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
• Substitute water with apple cider.
• Spread squash butter on toast, scones, pancakes or waffles.