- In a 5- to 6-quart pan, place chopped bacon over medium-high heat.
- Stir often until bacon is well browned and crisp, 10-12 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a paper towel lined plate to drain and keep warm.
- Pour off and discard all but 2 tablespoons bacon fat from pan. Add broth and garlic to pan (beef broth offers a richer flavour, but it will turn the soup abeige colour). Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and stir in milk and potato flakes. Stir constantly until soup is smooth and thickened and simmering, about 5 minutes.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls. Offer chopped bacon, green onions, and pepper to add to taste.
Healthier Alternative: Watching your salt and fat intake? Use reduced sodium broth, turkey bacon, and Lucerne® Fat Free Coffee Creamer or Reduced Fat Milk.