- In a 5 to 6-quart pan, bring broth to a boil over high heat.
- Whisking constantly,gradually add polenta; whisk until smooth.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer,stirring often, until polenta is thickened and smooth, 15-20 minutes. (Use a long handle spoon or whisk to avoid burns while stirring, as polenta spatters a bit.)
- While polenta simmers, pour oil into a 12 to 14-inch nonstick frying pan.
- Add onion and mushrooms, and then arrange sausages on top of vegetables.
- Cover pan and cook over medium-high heat without stirring until mushrooms exude juices, 7-10 minutes.
- Uncover pan and cook, stirring mushrooms and turning sausages often, until all is well browned and sausages are no longer pink in center (cut to test), about 10 minutes more.
- Stir cheese into polenta until smoothly melted.
- To serve, spoon portions of polenta onto plates and top with equal amounts for sausage and mushroom mixture.
Healthier Alternative: If you are watching your fat and sodium intake, substitute turkey Italian sausage and use Compliments Reduced Sodium Broth