- Preheat oven broiler to high. Place beef in a 12 or 14-inch frying pan over medium high heat.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir often until meat is browned and cooked through, 6-8 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer meat to a paper towel lined plate to drain. Wipe pan clean.
- Add black beans and salsa to the pan. Stir over medium-high heat just until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Spoon bean mixture into a deep 9-inch pie dish or baking pan.
- Top with meat and cheese. Broil 4-6 inches away from heat until cheese is bubbling and lightly browned, 3-4 minutes.
- Watch carefully to avoid burning the cheese.Remove dish from oven and top with sour cream, green onions, and chopped tomatoes.
- To serve, spoon portions out into bowls or on plates with tortilla chips.
Healthier Alternative: For a lower fat option, use ground turkey breast instead of ground beef.