- Slice about 1/4 in. (5 mm) off top of the head of garlic to expose cloves. Place garlic on a piece of foil (large enough to double-wrap and completely enclose it). Drizzle exposed garlic cloves with 1 tsp (5 mL) olive oil. Seal the whole garlic head in the foil.
- Place over indirect heat on grill preheated to medium-high. Close barbecue lid. Cook 45 to 50 min. Remove from grill. Cool slightly before carefully unwrapping to check that garlic can be easily pierced with a paring knife.
- Squeeze garlic cloves into small bowl; discarding skins. Using a fork, mash garlic with 2 tbsp (30 mL) oil, salt and pepper. Stir in basil and parsley. Set aside.
- Brush both sides of naan breads with remaining oil. Grill over medium heat about 1 min., turning once, until lightly toasted. Spread grilled garlic paste onto naan breads. Cut into large pieces. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with additional chopped basil, if desired.
• Alternatively, stir 1/3 cup (75 mL) grated Parmesan and 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped fresh thyme into the mashed grilled garlic and olive oil.
• Grilled garlic is delicious on burgers and steaks or stirred into dressings and dips.