- Line bottom and sides of 9-in. (23-cm) spring-form pan with parchment paper. Stir together ground cookies, melted chocolate and butter until combined. Scrape into pan; press out evenly to coat bottom. Freeze 15 min. until crust is set.
- Scrape ice cream into large bowl and let sit at room temperature 8 to 10 min. until malleable.
- Meanwhile, puree cranberry sauce in blender until smooth, reserve 1/2 cup (125 mL). Gently fold the remaining 3/4 cup (175 mL) cranberry sauce and hazelnuts (note: 1/4 cup (60 mL) hazelnuts can be reserved for garnish, if desired) into the ice cream. Do not over mix. Working quickly, spread mixture evenly onto cookie crust. Spread remaining cranberry sauce over centre of cake. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze at least 4 hr.
- To serve, beat whipping cream with icing sugar to stiff peaks. Release cake from spring-form pan; transfer to serving plate, discarding parchment paper. Top cake with dollop of whipped cream. Garnish with reserved hazelnuts and chocolate shavings, if using. For easier slicing, heat knife under hot water and dry with a kitchen towel before slicing (reheat between slices).
• To melt chocolate, break into pieces and place in microwaveable bowl. Cover and microwave on MEDIUM heat 30 sec. at a time. Stir after each heating to check if chocolate has melted. It will hold its shape even after melting.
• Spike cranberry sauce with a splash of brandy, amaretto or Frangelico before pureeing.