- Preheat oven to 375˚F (190˚C). In bowl, whisk flour, 2 tbsp (30 mL) brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Reserve 4 tsp (20 mL) butter and cut remaining butter into flour mixture, with a pastry-blender or 2 knives, to coarse crumbs. Using fork, stir in orange zest and 1/4 cup (60 mL) buttermilk until just combined. Turn out onto floured work surface. Pat dough into 1/2-in. (1-cm) thick slab. Using 2.5-in. (6-cm) maple leaf cookie-cutter, cut out 6 biscuits. Re-roll scraps and cut out 4 more maple leafs. Place cut-outs on baking sheet; chill 15 min.
- Meanwhile, toss strawberries with remaining brown sugar, orange juice and cornstarch. Scrape into greased 11 x 7-in. (2 L) baking dish. Dot with reserved 4 tsp (20 mL) butter. Arrange chilled biscuit cut-outs on top of filling, about 1 in. (2.5 cm) apart. Brush tops of cut-outs with buttermilk.
- Bake about 20 min. until biscuits are golden. Cover with aluminum foil (to prevent overbrowning) and bake another 20 to 25 min. until filling is thickened. Cool a few minutes before serving warm or at room temperature.
- Alternatively, use 2.5-in. (6-cm) round cookie-cutter to cut biscuits.
- Serve with scoop of vanilla ice cream or dollop of whipped cream.