- In a 6 to 8-quart pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken pieces and salt to taste; cook, stirring often, until chicken is lightly browned but not completely cooked in center, about 3 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon transfer chicken to a bowl or plate and set aside.
- To the pan add broth, orzo, lemon peel, and lemon juice.
- Cover and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat and boil gently until orzo is tender to bite, about 10 minutes.
- Return chicken to the pan and simmer just until meat is no longer pink in the center (cut to test), about 7-10 minutes (making sure the internal temperature is at least 165 degree Fahrenheit.)
- Off the heat, stir in half and half and the basil.
- Spoon into individual bowls and serve.
Healthier Alternative: Use Compliments Reduced Sodium Chicken Broth instead of regular broth to lower the salt content significantly. You can also eliminate the half and half for a less creamy, but still delicious, soup