- In a 5 to 6-quart pan, combine onion, olive oil, chili powder, oregano, and salt to taste over medium-high heat.
- Cook, stirring often, until onion begins to soften and spices smell lightly toasted, 3-4 minutes.
- Add chicken and cook, stirring often, until chicken is lightly browned, 7-8 minutes.
- Add broth, both kinds of hominy, and the chilies.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer until chicken is no longer pink in center (cut to test), about 5 minutes.
- Spoon posole into serving bowls.
- Sprinkle with cilantro if desired and serve immediately.
What is posole?
Posole is a traditional South American soup or stew that is traditionally made with long-simmered pork, hominy and many herbs and spices. Here we’ve replaced the pork with quick-cooking, flavourful chicken thighs. If you like, serve your posole with warm corn tortillas to soak up the broth.