- Whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper. Place chicken in large re-sealable plastic bag with about 1/3 cup (75 mL) of the lemon juice marinade, reserving the remainder. Turn chicken to coat. Refrigerate 3 hr.
- Remove chicken from marinade (discard marinade in bag). Open can of beer and pour out about 3/4 cup (175 mL) beer; reserving it for another use. (Note: The smaller amount of beer left in the can heats up faster, creating more steam to flavour the chicken as it cooks.) Add 2 tbsp (30 mL) reserved marinade to beer in can. Place partially filled beer can upright in centre of foil roasting pan, approx. size 9 x 11-in. (23 x 28-cm). Push chicken cavity onto beer can, with legs on the bottom.
- Pour 2 cups (500 mL) water into the pan; place on grill preheated to medium-high. With BBQ lid down, cook 45 to 55 min., or until meat thermometer inserted into thickest part of the inner thigh registers 165°F (74°C). Remove pan from BBQ. Let chicken rest in roasting pan on beer can 15 min. Carefully remove chicken from beer can (it will still be hot) and carve.
- Meanwhile, grill baguette halves 2 to 3 min., turning once, until toasted and lightly charred. Cut into 1-in. (2.5 cm) cubes. In large bowl, toss together tomatoes, red onion, basil, bread cubes, remaining reserved marinade and remaining salt and pepper. Serve chicken with bread salad.
• Add 1 cup (250 mL) sliced cucumbers or 1/4 cup (60 mL) coarsely chopped fresh parsley to salad.
• Substitute non-alcoholic lager.