- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Grease a 9 x 13-in. (3 L) baking pan and use a couple tablespoons of the flour to dust the pan; shake out excess. In bowl, stir rest of the flour with baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat butter and sugar using electric mixer on medium speed for about 2 min., until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, incorporating each fully before adding next one. Beat in vanilla.
- With the mixer on low, alternately add the dry mixture in 3 parts with the milk in 2 parts, starting and ending with the dry mixture. Scrape the bowl as needed between additions.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan, smoothing the top. Bake 30 to 35 min. or until a tester comes out clean when inserted into centre of cake. Let stand 10 min. before turning cake onto wire rack to cool completely.
- Just before serving, beat cream with icing sugar until stiff peaks form. Spread evenly on top and sides of cake.
- Cut raspberries in half lengthwise. Overlapping slightly, arrange 1/2 the raspberries, cut-side down, in the shape of a maple leaf in the centre of the cake. Tip: To avoid spaces between raspberries, slightly overlap the berry edges. Arrange remaining raspberry halves in three rows on each side of maple leaf. Serve immediately.
Tip: The unfrosted cake can be made 1 day ahead and stored in an airtight container, or it can be wrapped tightly and frozen for up to 2 weeks before thawing and decorating.