Everyone has a box of pancake mix stashed in the cupboard. But why make a plain batch when you can dish up something special by tossing a few new ingredients into the batter?
Before You Start
Always read through the recipe first. For our recipes below, we’re starting with 1 cup (250 mL) Compliments Original Complete Pancake & Waffle Mix or Compliments Buttermilk Complete Pancake & Waffle Mix, and 2/3 cup (150 mL) water.
SOME LIKE IT SWEET
An Italian Bakery Favourite
Inspired by cannolis, those crispy fried tubes of pastry with a sweet ricotta filling, our Cannoli Pancakes are irresistibly delicious with a drizzle of maple syrup. To make them an out-of-this-world indulgence, add a dollop of whipped cream on top.
- Ricotta cheese
- Chocolate chips
- Graham crumbs
- Orange zest
- Vanilla extract
Like Mom’s Apple Pie, Only Easier
Apple & Hemp Seed Pancakes offer all the flavours of homemade apple pie with an added nutty note, thanks to the inclusion of shelled hemp seeds. Top them with pats of butter and maple syrup, just like plain pancakes. Or, for a special blowout occasion, serve them à la mode, topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Hemp seeds
- Cinnamon & nutmeg
- Vanilla extract
SOME LIKE IT SAVOURY
Hot, Hot, Hot
One of the tastiest things to come out of the American South is fried chicken, and Nashville has taken it to spicy heaven. Nashville-inspired hot chicken is delicious, but marinating and frying it up takes time. Our clever twist, Nashville-Style Hot Chicken Pancakes, has all of its signature tastes but is ready in way less time. Don’t forget a drizzle of hot sauce on top.
- Shredded rotisserie chicken
- Chili powder & smoked paprika
- Garlic salt & cayenne pepper
- White vinegar
A Taste of India at Home
You don’t have to go to a restaurant to enjoy the yummy flavours of samosas. Dig in to well-spiced potatoes, peas and tender dough in our sensational Samosa Pancakes. Top them with a spoonful of plain yogourt and fresh lime juice, and serve your favourite chutney on the side.
- Compliments Hash Brown Fried Potatoes
- Curry powder & Worcestershire sauce
- Salt & pepper
Tex-Mex cuisine has brought us favourites like chili con carne, nachos and breakfast tacos. And here’s a new one: Tex-Mex Pancakes, featuring a lightly spicy kick that both kids and adults will love. The best topper? Salsa, naturally.
- Frozen corn
- Feta cheese
- Green onions
- Ground chipotle pepper & onion powder
5 Best Pancake Tips —and a Bonus
1. Don’t overstir the batter. Mix dry and wet ingredients together gently with a wooden spoon just until combined.
2. Get the heat right. If it’s too high, pancakes can burn and cook unevenly. If it’s too low, pancakes might not rise. The pan does need to be hot, though, so set the heat between medium and medium-high.
3. Don’t pour oil directly into the pan. It may pool in some areas, leaving other spots uncoated — and that can cause burning and undercooking. Brush oil over the pan surface instead.
4. Leave’em alone. Don’t shake the pan or move the batter around, as this can keep your pancakes from rising. And turn them only once. Too many flips can deflate them.
5. Watch for the bubbles. Pancakes are ready to turn when some of the bubbles on top (especially around the edges) start to burst.
Bonus: Use a flexible spatula to flip pancakes. Be kind and turn gently to avoid tearing them.