Roly-poly and often hard to handle, squash becomes easy to prep with these simple tips. You'll need a large heavy knife and a microwave. Then you're all set to cook your favourite squash recipes.
Slice off the stem end, then cut the "neck" of the squash from the "bulb".
Cut the "bulb" section in half. Scrape out pulp and seeds. Cut into thick wedges.
Microwave squash pieces on HIGH 3 to 4 min. Cool. Stand the neck upright, use a knife to slice down the sides to remove peel. Use a paring knife or peeler to remove the peel from the wedges.
Cut squash in half at its midpoint, splitting into two "domes".
Set domes on cut-sides, cut into thick wedges.
With cut-sides up, cover with plastic wrap and microwave 3 to 4 min. Cool. Scrape off "spaghetti" to use in recipes.
Some of our favourite ways to season squash include:
Grated Parmesan Cheese
Olive Oil & Sea Salt
Salt & Pepper
Cayenne Pepper & Ground Cumin
Perfectly roasted veggies are yours with these handy tips:
- For even cooking, chop veggies such as cauliflower, onions, peppers, or zucchini into equal-size pieces. If adding root vegetables like carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes, cut them into slighty smaller pieces since they take longer to cook.
- To prevent veggies from sticking to pan, toss pieces with oil before roasting. Or place oiled veggies on parchment-lined pan.
- Less crowding means better browning: Spread veggies in a single layer in baking pan.
- High heat often works best. Roast at 200°C to 230°C (400°F to 450°F) for a well-browned exterior and tender interior.
Save on prep. Pick up grilling trays with pre-cut veggies in our Produce Department. Ready to roast or grill!
Red Potato Medley Vegetable Grillers
BBQ Vegetable Medley Griller
A dash of festive fruit
Add a punch of flavour and colour to your holiday table with fresh fruit:
- Citrus fruits bring pizzazz to your roast platter. Char clementines and limes by cutting fruits in half, cross-wise. Heat butter or oil in frypan. Lightly char cut-sides and garnish platter.
Fruit turns into elegant holiday appetizers with these easy Raspberry Jam Glazed Figs.
Give your apps a tropical twist with these Prosciutto and Mango Bites.
A fresh bright salad featuring an avocado dressing - perfect for plant-based diets!
Refresh the palate with this Citrus Tonic Mocktail that you can turn into an easy cocktail.